Thursday, January 10, 2013

Slimy, Yet Satisfying

Sorry about the lack of posting.  Holidays and all.

Because I haven't really been out shopping to explore new stores, and just been buying staples and hoping for the best, I don't have any reviews of places for you.  I do, however, have a recipe for what is quite possibly one of my greatest creations ever.  I'm not a product endorser, so I'm not getting paid for mentioning these products, by the way.  They're just what I used because they work and are GF

Quick and Easy Mac & Cheese Casserole

You need:
2 boxes Annie's Deluxe Gluten-Free Macaroni & Cheese 
Half box of Boars Head Fully-Cooked Microwave Bacon (approx 7 strips, or to taste)
1 cup GF Panko crumbs (I used Jeff Nathan Creations, but I'd found it during Passover last year, so it might be hard to find)
1 pinch each of dried rosemary, basil, and oregano, or any other herbs of your choosing (omit if you were lucky enough to score GF Italian-style Panko bread crumbs)
olive oil
pre-shredded cheese (to taste) (my favorites are the Organic Valley Mexican Blend and the Sargento 4-State Cheddar blend, but you can use whatever pre-shredded cheese your heart desires.  Or, if you don't mind the extra step, shred your own, I won't be insulted if you're less lazy than I am)

Cook the macaroni and cheese and the bacon according to the instructions on the package.

Crumble the bacon into the pot or bowl that you used to combine the macaroni and cheese into.

Spread the macaroni and cheese and bacon mixture into a casserole dish.

Toss the bread crumbs and dried herbs in just enough olive oil to coat.  I eyeball this step, but I assume it's about 1-2 tablespoons.  Please don't take my word for that, though, especially since oil absorbency probably varies between brands.

Sprinkle pre-shredded cheese over the macaroni/cheese/bacon mixture.  I love cheese, so I basically cover the whole thing like it's a pizza.  If you're not quite so addicted to the stuff, I'm sure it would be just as good using a sane amount of cheese.

Sprinkle the bread crumbs on top of that.  I guess at this point I should have warned you that the people I cook this casserole for tend to like crispy, crunchy bread crumbs, so it REALLY covers the dish.  You could probably get away with 1/2 to 3/4 cup of bread crumbs if you don't care quite as much.

Slap that baby in the broiler for about 5 minutes or so, or until the bread crumbs become golden brown.

If you go by the servings listed on the boxes of mac & cheese, this recipe makes six servings.

If you go by what a normal American human eats, this recipe makes four servings.

If you make any variations or try any other brands of ingredients, feel free to comment and share your experiences.

P.S. I'm also pretty sure this would work with the non-gluten-free versions of everything too.  :P

No comments:

Post a Comment